If you're a regular reader of this blog you of course know that I have a keen interest in European politics, particularly those of the European Union. And given that I'm a journalist, I would very much like to translate this interest into a career. At the moment here in London I'm actually covering real estate investment in Asia, which is about as far away from European politics as you can get. But I'm currently in the process of getting Italian citizenship (through my grandparents), which would give me an EU passport and enable me to work anywhere in the EU. When and if that comes through, it will be time to evaluate my career options. Given that I have a big interest in the EU and am knowledgeable about the subject given my educational background, covering it seems a natural choice.
Of course such a transition would require a move to Brussels. So I figured it would be a good idea to check the city out to see if I could do it. We even got a hotel in the European Quarter to get the full experience.
The European Quarter
We took the Eurostar train there, which is quite nice because it leaves right from the center of London and takes you directly to the center of Brussels in an hour and 50 minutes. It lets off at Gare du Midi, which is a decent-looking train station, at least in the Eurostar terminal. We hopped on a metro to the European Quarter, which is a ways to the east of the city center. As predicted, it was entirely deserted, as it is on evenings and weekends.
Since both me and my friend Lori lived in DC for some time, we couldn't help making comparisons between the two cities. But other than both being the capital of multi-state entities, there were few similarities to observe. Instead of DC's grand purpose-built white neoclassical buildings, all surrounded by open expanse so you can get a clear view of them, the European Quarter was filled with enormous modern glass buildings crammed together in no identifiable pattern. There was really no way to step back and look at them, and in the end you were left with the feeling that you were just in an urban jungle of glass structures.
This of course is a frequent description of the European Quarter, but I wanted to see it for myself. It wasn't as bad as I had read, but still, I can't say it was pretty.
Brussels Centre
By contrast, the center of Brussels is full of charming narrow streets, interesting monuments and regal late 19th century buildings. As we explored the royal palace, the Cinquantenaire and the Galeries Royales St. Hubert, we were certainly impressed. However you couldn't help but temper the impressiveness of the buildings with the fact that these were all built by King Leopold II from profits stolen from the Belgian Congo in Africa, a process which involved the deaths of between five and eight million Africans.Latin/Germanic Divide
On Sunday we took a train up to Antwerp where my American friend Greg lives. Antwerp is the second-biggest city in Belgium and at the heart of Flanders, the Dutch-speaking Northern part of the country. It was fascinating to me how different the two cities are, and it was amusing to me how similiar it was to the situation in Switzerland. When I'm in Zurich (which is in the German-speaking part of Switzerland) visiting my family, it looks very German. In fact it looks very much like Munich. But when you go West to the French-speaking section everything suddenly looks French. The thatched rooves dissapear and suddenly you start seeing iron railings outside windows. When I was in Geneva, I noticed it reminded me very much of Paris.
The Verdict
In any case, it's good to now have a clearer picture of Brussels.
2 comments:
Nothing to do on weekends?! I think you've missed something during your brief stay in Brussels... There are loads of excellent restaurants and bars, plenty of music concerts, museums, galleries etc.
Plus the best aspect of life in Brussels is how sociable it is when you're here - it's much easier to make friends than in London and you'll spend plenty of time at meals and parties at friends' flats - it's second nature to go out for a meal with a Catalan or an Estonian and that's great fun.
Yes, Brussels can be a bit grey and dull at first (I hated it the first two times I visited) but having spent a total of more than 2 years here there are few places I would rather be based.
Ah well this is good to hear! I do have to say the nightlife wasn't as bad as I had heard people say, it was certainly decent! It's good to hear you've found it easy to make friends there though, I had heard the opposite from some people.
Post a Comment